Dispute Resolution Conference 2019 – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Wednesday 30 October 2019 - 9am registration, conference between 9.30am and 4.30pm.
Lunch will be provided. You will also be invited to attend a canape and drinks reception after the conference close.
The Royal Society of Edinburgh, 22-26 George Street, Edinburgh.
The conference will examine both domestic and international dispute resolution, with a focus on identifying any common themes, or lessons to be learned from other jurisdictions. The conference will count for 6 hours of CPD and will include:
- Domestic and international trends in different forms of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration, adjudication, mediation and dispute avoidance.
- Four separate breakout sessions exploring the use of DR and arbitration in traditional areas, including construction and property; in emerging areas such as family law and in aspirational areas, such as personal injury.
- A cross fertilisation of ideas between different practice areas to examine the future of dispute resolution. The afternoon session will be interactive, and will consider how we might best shape effective dispute resolution both domestically and internationally.
- An insight into ICCA 2020, and what benefit this will bring to DR in Scotland
- Lucy Greenwood will give the key note presentation on DR in the UK, versus other jurisdictions.
- The President of CIArb, Thomas Halkett, will provide an overview of DR trends across CIArb
- Speakers confirmed for our domestic panel sessions include Graham Boyack from Scottish Mediation Network on Mediation in Scotland, Janey Milligan from CDR on Dispute Avoidance and Lisa Cattanach, the chair of SBCC, on adjudication.
- Speakers confirmed for our international panel session include Mary Thomson, immediate past chair of CIArb East Asia Branch, Hew Dundas and John Nicolson.
- Brandon Malone of the Scottish Arbitration Centre will speak to us about ICCA, and how to make the most of this opportunity coming to Edinburgh next year.
- Our workshops will be run by David Anderson and Leigh Herd from Shepherd and Wedderburn LLP, Rachael Kelsey of FLAGS, Andrew MacFarlane of DM Hall and representatives from the Faculty of Advocates.
- Further speakers, including representatives from other CIArb Branches across the globe, and many more, will follow.
£48 inc VAT to CIArb members at any level
£60 inc VAT for non-members
How do I register?
To reserve a place payment can be made either:
- By cheque, made out to “CIArb (Scottish Branch)” and sent by post to Leigh Herd, CIArb (Scottish Branch) c/o Shepherd and Wedderburn, 1 Exchange Crescent, Conference Square, EH3 8UL; or
- By BACS/CHAPS to HSBC Bank plc, Sort Code: 40-05-03, Account Number: 61487744, IBAN: GB30MIDL40050361487744. Please add your name and the word “Conference” as your reference.
Please email our Honorary Secretary, Leigh Herd, at CIARBS@shepwedd.com once payment has been made and your place will be confirmed.