In-house solicitor – Construction & Commercial Contracts – ScottishPower
ScottishPower is part of the Iberdrola Group, one of the world’s largest integrated utility companies and a world leader in renewable energy. We are the first integrated energy company in the UK to produce 100% green electricity. Our focus is on wind energy, smart grids and driving the change to a cleaner, electric future; and we’re investing over £4m every working day to make this happen. As well as investing in the future energy infrastructure of the UK, ScottishPower is a significant investor in people and their careers.
SP Energy Networks (a business division of ScottishPower) (SPEN) owns and operates the equipment that delivers electricity to our customers’ homes and businesses in Central and Southern Scotland, Merseyside and North Wales.
Our focus is on harnessing technology and innovation to create the network of the future. We are building a dynamic network to meet the changing demands for electricity in the communities we serve - whilst doing so safely, securely and sustainably.
About the role
The position (Solicitor) is based in Glasgow and will report to the Legal Director of SPEN. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Providing legal support across SPEN’s entire GB network, and managing a varied and challenging portfolio of construction and engineering, projects across three jurisdictions, in respect of both transmission and distribution projects;
- Direct involvement in project teams to provide strategic advice in relation to key infrastructure projects, including the reinforcement of the electricity network to connect new renewables generation, support the rollout of electric vehicles, and facilitate Smart Cities;
- Engagement with all areas of SPEN’s business from executive management to new trainee engineers;
- Direct engagement with key business stakeholders, including Scottish Government, UK Government, local government, regulators, planning authorities, developers, contractors and customers;
- Regular opportunities to provide training to all areas of SPEN, and to present to executive management on key risk areas;
- Active encouragement to learn Spanish, and to regularly engage with Spanish colleagues in the wider Iberdrola group;
- Autonomy and encouragement to identify, and lead in the implementation of, innovative legal processes and best practice;
- Instructing industry leading law firms and Counsel; and
- Ensuring compliance with the Group’s governance processes, including all corporate policies, best practices and information requirements in force and, where required, assisting in implementing them.
The successful candidate will be a UK-qualified lawyer from a large law firm or in-house legal team, with solid experience of drafting and negotiating commercial contracts; and ideally with general energy sector experience, as well as possessing a good knowledge of standard form construction contracts.
The role requires good influencing skills, sound commercial judgment and a pro-active approach; and involves daily interaction with senior level executives, as well as colleagues at all-levels across the Group. Effective selection and management of external counsel is also important.
You will be a self-motivated team player who is reliable and flexible and has a ‘can do’ attitude. You should have excellent communication skills and have experience of communicating across all levels within a business. You must be able to demonstrate the ability to handle a varied and busy workload, and be prepared to explore and adopt innovative working methods in the pursuit of continuous improvement and operational excellence within the legal function.
- Selection Method: Competency Based Interview
- Competencies: Achieving results and continuous improvement; Innovation and creativity;
Customer focus; Communicating and influencing; Global view of the business.
What we offer
This is a Permanent full-time contract. A highly competitive salary and benefits package is on offer, as well as the opportunity to gain experience within an innovative global energy company.
As part of our commitment to a supportive and inclusive place to work, we recognise that our employees have different personal circumstances and want a suitable work-life balance. We are working hard to support flexible and alternative ways of working where possible including: Flexible Working, Shared Parental Leave, Career Breaks, Wellbeing / Employee Assistance Programme. You will also have access to our flexible benefits programme where you can decide what is important for you.
‘Happy to talk flexible working’
Closing date: 22nd August 2019